Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Thanksgiving Memories of 1973

Hey Arlene...I was inspired by your post of you and John's first Christmas together. I rummaged through some photos of mine but couldn't find Dale and my first Christmas, maybe because we both worked on that day at the Utah State Training School. But I found this one at Mom's on Thanksgiving. I am digging the purple polyester!

I loved this one showing Mom's Thanksgiving table. That is Dix, my oldest brother by me and there is my sister Polly seating Audrey, her oldest girl. There is the great cornucopia Mom set on the table every year and all the good food. I didnt see her lazy susan with the olives and pickles, but I am sure it was there. Notice a favorite of mine but not anyone else in my family, the green lime jello salad with cottage cheese and pineapple and a hint of mayonnaise, by each plate. Ah, this brought back wonderful memories, I even thought about the year before I was married and when I accidentally put salt in the pumpkin pie filling instead of sugar! Good thing Mom was patient as we hurried and made more. We really did have wonderful Thanksgivings at Mom Gauger's.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I love the purple polyester, but maybe because purple is my favorite color. You and Dale are one hot couple.

Alisa said...

You guys look great! I am digging that purple. Some kids would love to have that outfit these days! What great pictures!

Collette said...

Diggin' it.
Wow we look a lot a like!!!
I love how the mashed potatoes are whipped up like that!!! Good thing we didnt have jello salad like that!

Audrey said...

Oh more posts like this! Great photos. I so remember the oval rose colored baking dish with the white flowers on it. But somehow I blocked out the purple polyester. Hmmm....

Arlene Heiner said...

Linda, I think we need to make these posts more often and call them memory lane. It gives a little history background for our children. I loved your post because it brought many memories back to me also. The decorations, curtains, styles, hair dos, food--I love it. Your pictures were great. They were great days. You have been such a fun good friend for so many years, I'm happy we have made this contact.

Paulene Davis said...

I love the photos. I remember the purple polyester and the green pineapple salad. Mother always made holidays wonderful for us.

Kathleen Gauger said...

What great photos! I remember you way back then, even before I knew Dennis I knew who you were. You are as lovely today as you were back then. Now... do we call these pictures "vintage" or the "Good old days?" Whatever we call them, it brings back really good memories about the Gauger family. XOXO