Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Staying Busy With Life

Don't faint, whatever you do! I have been a bit lazy...well a lot of lazy...but I have the incentive back to blog again (thanks, Polly, for inspiring me to get moving!) A lot has happened in my life since the temple dedication and here are a few high lights.Some friends talked me into taking a new gym class for the month of September on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings. I was ready for something different so eagerly signed up. On Mondays we did kick boxing and that was a challenge. The instructor really got into it, shouting and grunting incentives and she thought I was really getting into it, too, when I would scream out...she didn't know that it was from kicking the steel pole below the bag! But I just named my bag "frustrations" and mastered the punches. Wednesdays, we did some taibo (sp?) aerobics and that really was a workout, but much better than sweating with the oldies and Richard Simmons! Fridays, we did spinning. I really liked that, it was the easiest for me, seeing how I had already been doing 45 minutes on the eliptical machines upstairs. I decided that it was good to change it up again and signed up for the pilates class for October. After my first class, I thought I was going to die! It was the hardest class so far for me. I wanted to quit, but will keep trying. My friends are very encouraging and I will try not to be afraid of the instructor when she yells at me to keep my stomach in!
I have loved being in the temple every Thursday morning since it opened. I have done many names in initiatory and endowments sessions. I feel so at home there because of the connection from my open house and dedication experiences. It is a thrill to always see so many friendly and loving faces that I know from my stake serving and participating in sessions. Our young single adults have done baptisms and confirmations and have already participated in cleaning the temple one late evening. I feel so blessed to have a temple so close and I am just basking in the spirit and love I feel there.
Fall brings Book Club again and it's fun meeting with friends to discuss interesting books and current issues. We've discussed the delightful book, The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith while enjoying yummy German chocolate cake. I will be reviewing the next book entitled Leap of Faith: Memoirs of an Unexpected Life by Queen Noor. This author is Lisa Halaby, the distinguished Arab-American who married King Hussein of Jordan and became Noor Al Hussein, Queen of Jordan. Here are pictures of our Tuesday Book Club.

Other books that we will be discussing this year are: the children's book, Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare; Winners Never Cheat by Jon Huntsman; The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale, The Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson, and Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen and David Oliver Relin. In December, we have a tasters lunch of favorite holiday recipes and donate money to our local library for a new book.

We had the chance to go to General Conference this past weekend, so stay tuned...that will be my next blog.

9 comments:

Alisa said...

WOW, you have been busy. I'm jealous of your close temple, but only slightly jealous of your new workout regiment!

Chad said...

i say your book club should revisit the old classics...you know....Cat in the Hat...Cat in the Hat Comes Back....Green Eggs and Ham.....Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.......and my personal favorite...If You Give a Mouse a Cookie

Molly said...

Okay, so where did you get your darling blog background (not that I want to copy you, well actually I do!)? It is so cute! I just haven't quite picked up on the scrapbooking, cutesie stuff that you all do on yours (my mom had to help me with mine).

Molly

Molly said...

I am also in a book group with our ward, so thanks for the books you mentioned. We are doing "Wuthering Heights" by
Emily Bronte this month because it is a little spooky! Fun!

Collette said...

my mother the social-lite

Arlene Heiner said...

Linda, love reading your blog entries because you are such a great writer. Have you ever thought of writing a book? I remember when John was on his mission you wrote a poem for me to send to him on his hump day. It was great. We really are blessed to be close to Temples especially when the world seems to be in so much turmoil.

Audrey said...

I love your new blog look. and I'd love to trade social calendars. Your workout classes sound like a blast, and you've given me a new goal: I want to be you when I grow up, well, I guess I should say, when my kids grow up.

Paulene Davis said...

Your fall look is fabulous. I do so enjoy the fall colors because it was Mother's favorite time of the year and she loved the colors. It was good to see your friends and know of the books you are reading. Is that Judy in the photo? Loved visiting with you over conference. We just do not spend enough time together.

Kathleen Gauger said...

What a darling blog. I loved reading your new posts. You are one happening gal you know! Thanks for taking the time to share your life with us! XOXO